St David’s Independent Hospital provides open rehabilitation, habilitation and treatment to individuals living with a learning disability and/ or additional complex needs including autism and mental health needs.
The hospital offers an enhanced living environment having recently undergone a full internal refurbishment.
St David’s supports:
- Males aged 18 yrs + who have a diagnosis of a borderline to moderate learning disability
- May have coexisting secondary conditions including autism and/or complex and mental health needs
- Admission is primarily based upon an initial 12 week assessment period
- Ability to take individuals detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 or subject to Deprivation of Liberty Standards
Philosophy of care
Philosophically, we believe in care based on the principles of rehabilitation, habilitation, recovery and inclusion to empower individuals to lead fulfilling and rewarding lives.
We do this through:
- Improving the quality of life for every individual in our care and enhancing their personal strengths.
- A commitment to a thorough Care Treatment Planning (CTP).
- Valuing partnership working to achieve progress side by side with individuals.
- Promoting respect, inclusion and good communication.
- Striving to optimise health and independence.
The support delivered
Support and treatment is designed to promote the development of both social and adaptive skills leading towards independence and autonomy. The service will also seek to achieve and demonstrate reduction in risk behaviours.
In addition, St David’s has three core values underpinning its care and treatment, staff and services:
St David’s is committed in providing quality treatment whilst working collaboratively with families and referrers. Quality is monitored internally and by the All Wales Quality Framework – St David’s has been awarded 3 Q’s in relation to the quality of care delivered.
Individuals are valued as individuals and their treatment is structured as such. The service strives for progressive development and delivering positive outcomes to the lives of those we support. Importantly we seek to take a positive, proactive approach to risk when it comes to supporting those who reside in and or spend time in our services. We aim to provide programmes of care which are progressive, individualised and truly person-centred.
Announced and unannounced inspections are carried out by HIW to ensure quality of care is of the highest standards.
- 15 furnished bedrooms (personalisation welcomed)
- Spacious modern living areas
- On site day centre providing social, educational, recreational and therapeutic opportunities
- Clinic room
- Access to a range of community focused activities
The surrounding area
St David’s stands by the banks of the River Dee and within walking distance of the small village of Carrog – a picturesque part of North Wales.
Carrog has a railway station which is part of the Llangollen line, a public house and a café. The town of Corwen is close by which offers a range of community facilities and amenities. A little further away are the towns of Llangollen and Wrexham.
The location offers the tranquility of the countryside but is also within minutes of the main road through North Wales putting the whole region within easy reach, from the mountains of Snowdonia to the coast and beyond.
The Registered Manager
Neil Wattret, Hospital Manager
Neil is a Learning Disability Nurse with over 30 years experience working across a diverse range of services from High Secure to peripatetic community position sand has many years experience as a Registered Manager of both Hospital and Care Home provision with extensive experience of commissioning and managing new and innovative services.
Neil has previously held positions as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in Forensic Learning Disability Practice within the NHS as well as a Clinical Nurse Specialist in Learning Disability Practice in the independent sector; gaining a number of qualifications including RNLD, BSc (hons) in Health Studies, Specialist Practitioner award in Community LD Practice, PG Dip in Forensic LD Practice and QCF Level 7 in Management.