Recovery & Treatment Centre
Newton House Recovery and Treatment Centre provides locked rehabilitation, habilitation and treatment to individuals living with complex and enduring mental health conditions.
By working with commissioners, families and individuals we provide support that is designed around them and their needs, wants and aspirations so that the most positive outcomes can be achieved.
- Males aged 18+ who have a diagnosis of complex and enduring mental health conditions
- Support coexisting secondary conditions such as challenging behaviour, drug and alcohol issues and/ or personality disorder
- Admission is primarily based upon an initial 12 week assessment period on an informal or formal basis
- Ability to take individuals detained under the Mental Health Act 1983
Philosophy of Care
Philosophically, we believe in care based on the principles of rehabilitation, habilitation, recovery and inclusion to empower individuals to lead fulfilling and rewarding lives.
We do this through:
- Improving the quality of life for every individual in our care and enhancing their personal strengths.
- A commitment to a thorough CPA approach.
- Valuing partnership working to achieve progress side by side with individuals.
- Dignity and respect.
- Fairness, equality and equity.
- Empowerment and involvement.
- Continuous quality improvement.
The Support Delivered
By adopting a person centred approach and applying the concept of recovery, Newton house rehabilitates individuals to their optimum level of functioning and focuses on individual’s recovery by enhancing skills and independence in a least restrictive environment.
Rehabilitation involves comprehensive assessment and individualised programmes of interventions that aim to stabilise symptoms and improve everyday functioning. These interventions include: optimising medication regimes and minimising side effects; psychological interventions to manage active psychotic symptoms, gain insight, avoid relapse, and support family/carer involvement.
To help patients achieve these targets, the hospital has input from a range of professionals and disciplines, and includes specialist therapies to address ongoing substance misuse; occupational therapy to support the person to gain confidence and skills in activities of daily living.
Newton House focuses on recovery and discharge at the start of the admission by identifying individual’s goals and needs, which helps formulate a care and treatment plan to ensure the length of stay is kept to the minimum. The average length of stay can be 12 to 18 months where possible however this can vary on an individual’s basis.
- 21 ensuite bedrooms
- Spacious living areas
- Activities room
- Independent living kitchen
- Rehabilitation suite
- Access to a range of meaningful rehabilitation in the domains of education, occupation and leisure
Recovery & Treatment Centre Values
The service at Newton House is based upon the principles of rehabilitation, recovery and social inclusion. Core themes include:
- Enhancing strengths and resilience of long-term patients and their families.
- Maintaining optimism for individual growth and recovery.
- Treating disability with respect and acceptance.
- Improving the holistic quality of life for all patients in our
- Reducing stigma and promoting social inclusion.
- Therapeutic risk taking to promote personal responsibility.
The Surrounding Area
Situated a mile from the seaside town of Blackpool in Lancashire, Newton House benefits from all that the region has to offer.In addition to its sandy beaches, Blackpool offers an abundance of must see attractions and landmarks including Blackpool Tower, Blackpool Illuminations, the Pleasure Beach, Blackpool Zoo, Sandcastle Water Park, the Winter Gardens, and the UK’s only remaining first-generation tramway. Blackpool boasts a year round
programme of events which include sports, music, dance, comedy and food – something for all preferences!
The locality enjoys good public transport links, the main bus terminus is within metres of the service.
Sally Danson, Registered Hospital Manager