Learning Disability Service – Independent Hospital
New Hall Independent Hospital is a specialist service providing diagnosis, care planning, treatment and transition for individuals with learning disabilities and associated mental disorders. It provides a combination of high-dependency and complex care whilst aiming to help individuals improve quality of life.
- Males aged between 18-64 yrs who have a primary diagnosis of borderline to moderate learning disability.
- Supports coexisting secondary conditions including autism, forensic history and/or complex mental health needs.
- Ability to take individuals detained under the Mental Health Act 1983 or subject to Deprivation of Liberty Standards.
Philosophy of Care
We believe in care based on the principles of rehabilitation, habilitation, recovery and inclusion to empower individuals to lead fulfilling and rewarding lives.
We do this through:
- Improving the quality of life for every individual in our care and enhancing their personal strengths.
- A commitment to a thorough CPA approach (England) or CTP approach (Wales).
- Valuing partnership working to achieve progress side by side with individuals.
- Dignity and respect.
- Fairness, equality and equity.
- Empowerment and involvement.
- Continuous quality improvement.
- Enhancing strengths and resilience of long term patients and their families.
- Maintaining optimism for individual growth and recovery.
- Treating disability with respect and acceptance.
- Improving the holistic quality of life for all patients in our services.
- Reducing stigma and promoting social inclusion.
- Therapeutic risk taking to promote personal responsibility.
- Striving to optimise health and independence.
- Using the least restrictive interventions and options.
- Effective treatment options through evidence based care and key outcome measures.
- Eight furnished bedrooms
- Spacious, modern living areas
- Internet cafe and cinema
- Almost 10 acres of land including woodland and ornamental lake
- Access to a range of community focused activities seven days a week
- Music and fitness suites
- ADL therapy kitchens
- A stimulating environment in which individuals can thrive.
The Support Delivered
By adopting the concept of recovery and a person centred approach, patients are rehabilitated to their optimum level of functioning.
Support delivered at New Hall:
- Empowers all patients to reach their optimum level of independence by promoting good physical and mental health and through the development of appropriate social and adaptive skills.
- Provides person-centred care aiming to provide an environment and culture which promotes the principles and values of normalisation.
- Provides evidence based, person centred quality treatment whilst working in collaboration with families and referrers.
- Strives for progressive development and improvement in the lives of the patients.
- Embraces positive behavioural support in addition to active support philosophies.
- Focus on functional communication and developing skills for those with social communication disadvantages.
The Surrounding Area
Situated within walking distance of the village of Ruabon and 5 miles from Wrexham, the largest town in North Wales, New Hall benefits from all the local communities have to offer. In the heart of Ruabon there is a small supermarket, fish & chip shop, café, bakery, library, bank, post office and newsagents.
Wrexham has a number of retail and country parks, sports and leisure facilities, colleges and home to Wrexham Football Club-The stadium is a regular host to music and comedy events. 9 miles away is Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, the world’s tallest canal boat crossing and World Heritage Site.
New Hall is easily accessible via main road, rail and bus networks.
The Hospital Manager
Linda Hull, Hospital Manager
Linda started her career in the health and social care sector as a Support Worker in non-verbal learning disability. She has since gained a plethora of qualifications including a diploma in Mental Health Nursing, QCF Level 5 in Leadership and Management, Autism Awareness training, Knights solicitors investigation training, MAPA/Safety Interventions Master level Instructor training and Foundations for Safer Care instructor training.
Linda has a proven track record of assisting and improving services. Her values include: honesty, integrity and striving to improve the quality of experience for the patients we provide care for throughout their stay with MHC.